Invisalign in Chicago IL
Clear Braces in Chicago, IL
Invisalign are like clear braces but are designed to be invisible. Aligner trays made of smooth, comfortable, BPA-free clear plastic are worn over your teeth to subtly and gently move your teeth. X-rays, pictures, and impressions to create a precise 3-D image of your teeth are used to configure your aligner trays accordingly.
Invisalign does have its pros and cons, very much like braces.
- Treatment time is 22-24 hrs/day for 6 to 18 months, depending on the patient needs
- The cost averages about $5,000
- Maintenance is the Invisalign Cleaning system or brushing and rinsing trays in lukewarm water
- Follow up visits are every 2 weeks to change aligner trays and then visits every 4 to 6 weeks
- Follow up treatment includes ongoing positioner or retainer needs as needed/ongoing, maybe only at night
Some of the pros and cons of Invisalign are:
|Invisible||May have discomfort from tooth movement|
|Removable||Must remove before eating or drinking anything but water|
|No issues with food getting caught||Must brush after each meal to avoid staining|
|No difficulty eating|
|No discomfort from wires|
Invisalign is not ideal for patients who have:
- back tooth bite issues
- the need to rotate canines or premolars
- the need to move teeth vertically
- lack of discipline to keep trays in for at least 22 hours daily
If you’re an adult or have a teen, who tends to be self-conscious, Invisalign may appeal to you. And the fact that it’s removable so you can eat, drink, brush and floss more naturally, may sound desirable. But if the idea of having to remove your trays for meals or while drinking anything but water seems inconvenient, Invisalign may not be the best solution for you. Plus remember, you should brush after each meal before putting your trays back in, to avoid staining.
If you need to address issues with your back teeth, need to rotate teeth, or move teeth vertically, Invisalign may not even be an option.
Straightening your teeth to improve your smile and overall oral health should not be taken lightly. If you need help deciding whether braces or Invisalign makes more sense for you or your child, consult us today!